Totally nutritious (protein-rich, iron, Vitamin A, C, and fiber) vegan dish that can be enjoyed anytime of day a la carte or paired with rice, fried plantain, or bread.
. . .
• 3 cups of Beans (Orange or Black-Eyed Peas)
• 1 bag of 16-oz Corn (yellow or white; sweet or unsweetened)
• 1 large Yellow Onion
• Oil (your choice of Vegetable, Canola, Corn, Olive, or Palm)
• 1 small Tomato Paste
• 1 tablespoon of granulated Sugar (optional)
Ingredients for Sauce:
(Add the following items into the blender, add a cup of water, and blend until smooth)
• 1 Red Bell Pepper
• 1 Habanero Pepper
• 1/2 Onions
• 6-7 pieces of
1. Pour the beans in a pot
2. Add 6 cups of water
3. Cover and bring to boil for about 10 minutes
4. Take pot off stove. You’ll notice that the water is “dirty”
5. Rinse beans out twice by adding more water into pot and spilling out. Be careful not to spill the beans. This is necessary to cook the beans with clean water.
6. Place pot back on stove
7. Slice or cube 1/4 of onions into beans
8. Add a tablespoon of salt
9. Add a teaspoon of sugar (optional)
10. Add 2 cups of water
11. Cook over medium-high for 15 minutes
12. Add the corn
13. Cook for about 5 minutes
14. Add sauce base
15. Add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
16. Add oil
17. Cook for 10-15 minutes.